The Girl Booker

The Girl Booker

Monday, May 20, 2013

Can You See the 'End' in 'Friend'?

Just between us, I loved Just Between Us in that want-to-stroke-the-book-when-not-reading-it kind of a way. It is a collection of essays and short stories on the nature of female friendship, and how and why it can go wrong. So many of the pieces resonated with me and mirrored my own experiences that I felt hungry to keep reading more.

I love the idea of a book that is written completely by women about something very important to women, but repeatedly dismissed and belittled in mainstream culture. I suppose it validated my feelings and experiences in a way that nothing else has. I have been in agonies of guilt about what to do when I felt a friendship was no longer nourishing or fun, and have struggled to figure out what the best course of action to take might be. It's a massive comfort to know I'm not the only one.

Of all the chapters in the book, Liz Byrski's essay was the most illuminating. I suspect I am going to turn her words over in my mind for some time to come. I examined all my previous friendship breakups through this new prism of knowledge and everything made a whole lot more sense. It was what Oprah calls "an Aha moment". It was like that time I replaced parsley with dill in my favourite mushroom and leek risotto (thanks for the recipe Brona) and realised how much more harmonious the flavours could be. It was, simply put, brilliant.

2 comments:

  1. Hi there,

    I just discovered your blog and really like it!
    Here are my thoughts on writing and literature (scrall down for the english version):
    http://lasagnolove.blogspot.de/2013/06/you-get-to-decide-what-to-worship-ii.html

    I'd love to know what you think about writing!

    Have a great weekend&greetings from Europe,
    Bambi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really like your style of writing on this post and others, humourous and friendly, like chatting over a drink. Keep posting!

    ReplyDelete